Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Great Course: Voltaire & The Triumph of the Enlightenment
Leading intellectual historian Alan Charles Kors shares with you his view of Voltaire as one of the most intriguing, influential, and elusive thinkers of the modern world. Focusing on the deepest, most enduring aspects of Voltaire's work and thought, but never losing sight of the colorful, fascinating man himself, Professor Kors sketches for you a vibrant, thought-provoking vision of Voltaire as "the father of the Enlightenment" and one of the great literary personalities of all time.
Click here to access these lectures and the guide book.
Read and Think Like an Historian
Key questions to consider when reading for historical knowledge & understanding
- What are the most important impacts of this thinker on her or his time period? How is she or he significant? What facts or information from this source support your answer?
- What is the purpose of this piece?
- When was this written? By whom?
- Who is the intended audience?
- What information from other sources does this source CORROBORATE?
- What information from other sources does this source COMPLICATE or make confusing?
- What questions are you left with after reading this source?
- What connections to other thinkers did you see in this source? What relationship does this thinker have to other thinkers of the time period (or other time periods)?
Zurich International School
8820 Wädenswil, Switzerland
+41 (0) 58 750 2500