Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Great Course: Capitalism (featuring Adam Smith)
As the economic system under which you live, capitalism shapes the marketplaces that determine where you live and work, how much you are paid, what you can buy, what you can accumulate toward your retirement, and every other aspect of a society based on monetary exchanges for goods and services. In an era of increasing globalization, capitalism has dramatically strengthened its important role in—and its influence on—the world economy. It is the system under which a majority of the world's population lives, and it continues to strengthen the links of interdependence between the world's economies.
Please click here to access this video series of lectures:
Read and Think Like an Historian
Key questions to consider when reading for historical knowledge & understanding
- What are the most important impacts of this thinker on her or his time period? How is she or he significant? What facts or information from this source support your answer?
- What is the purpose of this piece?
- When was this written? By whom?
- Who is the intended audience?
- What information from other sources does this source CORROBORATE?
- What information from other sources does this source COMPLICATE or make confusing?
- What questions are you left with after reading this source?
- What connections to other thinkers did you see in this source? What relationship does this thinker have to other thinkers of the time period (or other time periods)?
Zurich International School
8820 Wädenswil, Switzerland
+41 (0) 58 750 2500