Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
OER - Open Educational Resources, Places to Start
Places to Start
Finding OER - Places to Start
There are a multitude of OER available online to choose from, including full textbooks and courses, lessons and units, multimedia resources, and data. These can be found through a search of popular search engines like Google, though it is easier to search and discover them through dedicated OER repositories or libraries. Below is a sampling of such repositories and libraries.
Aggregated OER Collections
- Hippo Campus - Multimedia content on general education subjects for middle-school and high-school teachers and their students.
- Khan Academy - Short lessons in the form of YouTube videos and practice exercises.
- OER Commons - A public library of OER with tools for content authoring & remixing. Also provides collaborative workspaces for creating, curating, and discussing OER.
Open Media Collections
- Creative Commons Image Search - Openly licensed still images, music, and videos across several repositories, including YouTube, Google, SoundCloud, and more.
- Getty Institute Open Images - Searchable database of Creative Commons licensed images.
- Library of Congress - Millions of books, recordings, photographs, newspapers, maps and manuscripts, all in the public domain (and thus OER).
Open Data Collections
- Data.gov - Comprises U.S. federal data with links to U.S. states, cities and counties with web sites that provide open data. Note that non-federal data available through Data.gov may have different licensing than open licensing.
- World Bank Open Data - Global development data that is free and openly licensed.
- PLOS - Science and medicine research articles with images, figures, tables and graphs, all licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license that allows for adaptations and derivatives.
- CK-12 - Standards-aligned open textbooks in the STEM subject for K-12 students.
- OpenStax Textbooks - AP-level open textbooks spanning multiple subjects that are developed and peer-reviewed by educators.
Open Lessons and Units
Zurich International School
8820 Wädenswil, Switzerland
+41 (0) 58 750 2500