Skip to main content
OER - Open Educational Resources, Places to Start
Places to Start
Finding OER - Places to Start
There are a multitude of OER available online to choose from, including full textbooks and courses, lessons and units, multimedia resources, and data. These can be found through a search of popular search engines like Google, though it is easier to search and discover them through dedicated OER repositories or libraries. Below is a sampling of such repositories and libraries.
Aggregated OER Collections
- Hippo Campus - Multimedia content on general education subjects for middle-school and high-school teachers and their students.
- Khan Academy - Short lessons in the form of YouTube videos and practice exercises.
- OER Commons - A public library of OER with tools for content authoring & remixing. Also provides collaborative workspaces for creating, curating, and discussing OER.
Open Media Collections
- Creative Commons Image Search - Openly licensed still images, music, and videos across several repositories, including YouTube, Google, SoundCloud, and more.
- Getty Institute Open Images - Searchable database of Creative Commons licensed images.
- Library of Congress - Millions of books, recordings, photographs, newspapers, maps and manuscripts, all in the public domain (and thus OER).
Open Data Collections
- Data.gov - Comprises U.S. federal data with links to U.S. states, cities and counties with web sites that provide open data. Note that non-federal data available through Data.gov may have different licensing than open licensing.
- World Bank Open Data - Global development data that is free and openly licensed.
- PLOS - Science and medicine research articles with images, figures, tables and graphs, all licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license that allows for adaptations and derivatives.
- CK-12 - Standards-aligned open textbooks in the STEM subject for K-12 students.
- OpenStax Textbooks - AP-level open textbooks spanning multiple subjects that are developed and peer-reviewed by educators.
Open Lessons and Units
Zurich International School
8820 Wädenswil, Switzerland
+41 (0) 58 750 2500